Friday, February 11, 2011

The Moment You Remember What "Baby Steps" Really Are...

If you'll recall, back in October, I started the Maximize Your Mornings Challenge at Inspired to Action.

I did pretty well with the challenge for a few weeks, shocking Hubby when I told him I'd been getting up early to exercise, have quiet time, and plan my day.  He'd had no idea and didn't even believe me to begin with!  Things went swimmingly until we took an impromptu trip to Pigeon Forge that started a sleepless spiral for Little Lady that didn't end until Christmas.

Flash forward to 2 weeks ago when the challenge began again.  Little Lady was sleeping again, and I was really craving some alone time with just myself, my iPod, and my Jesus.  I signed up, set my alarm, and began trying anew to put my feet on the ground first in the morning.

This time, however, I started slower.  No working out yet, just a time with my Bible and a shower.  And a little accountability this time around--I have a Twitter Accountability Captain to check in with each morning who encourages me beyond belief.

About this time last week?  Yep, Little Lady starts waking up again.  Teeth?  Ears?  Who really knows?  But, through the Twitter groups, I've discovered how many other women are struggling through the same issues.  And, also, this time around, I have a new dose of perspective.

Ever watched a baby learn to walk?  I mean, really watched them?  They aren't like Bambi, who wobbles around for a minute and then starts prancing around with no trouble.  No, it takes many tries, many tumbles.  Lots of caution, lots of courage, and a VERY slow start.  Little Lady stands up carefully, holds on tightly, lets go with one hand...then sits down and crawls away.  No guilt, no self-loathing...just practicing, then she'll try again next time.

So, baby steps are where I'm trying to stay.  Today I've battled a migraine that derailed my entire day, not just my morning plans.  Sometimes, Little Lady is going to be up a bunch or I'm just going to fail at getting myself out of the bed.

And that's ok.

It's got to be ok.

1 comment:

  1. Baby steps can cover a lot of ground over time! ;) You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete