Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Moment You Realize You're In Over Your Head...

In the list of blogs I read, the recent book sensation has been "Radical" by David Platt.  Boomama's pastor wrote it, Missy at It's Almost Naptime and Angie at Bring the Rain have recommended it.  And Marla Taviano is hosting an online read-along.  Intrigued by the trend, I started reading the preview offered by Amazon.

And, several hours later, I decided I better just order the book and be done with it.  Let's just say, steel-toed boots are really required to read this one.  I've grown up in very large churches and learned the Great Commission as a memory verse.  I spent my graduate school years as a member of one of the largest Southern Baptist Churches in the country.  I'm now a member of a church who is in the middle of a substantial building program.  Yeah, I'm smack in the middle of the group Platt targets...folks who have found themselves living a "Christian spin on the American dream".

Conflicted?  That's me.  Feeling guilty?  Me, too.  A little defensive?  Yup, can't deny it.  Interested to see what Platt's suggestions are?  Most definitely.

All this, and I'm only on Chapter One.  Yikes!

Join us at Marla Taviano's blog to turn your world upside down, too!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're joining us, Ginnylou! Just reading through everyone's posts this morning has made me even MORE uncomfortable. Seriously, I'm really not sure how to handle it. I think I'll go take a shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl, I am with you with the building campaign..and there isn't a chapyer in the book that won't make you {and me} uncomfortable but it is so worth it! Looking forward to sharing the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're sharing -- seriously, I love this book, but if you aren't careful it might turn everything you believe upside down -- of course Jesus tends to do that too!

    ReplyDelete